RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Working with Others

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 20, 2022 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 3 Comments

Chapter seven of the book, Alcoholics Anonymous, is devoted entirely to working with others. You get a clue from the author of the “Big Book”, how important certain steps are by the amount of space he devotes to them. When the author has devoted an entire chapter to working with others, i.e., Step 12, it must be important.

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

LDRSHIP

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 2, 2021 4:27:50 PM / by Maj Donovan posted in recovery process, 12 step program, Recovery, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 3 Comments

We have the 12 Steps and the 12 Traditions on which volumes of material have been written. Yet, a common theme running through the steps and traditions is this idea of principles. But what are these principles and from where do they come?

A Brief History on the Development of A.A.

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 8, 2020 12:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Family Sober Support, Alcoholism Treatment Program

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

On December 11, 1934, while under treatment at Towns Hospital for alcoholism, Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, experienced a profound and lasting spiritual experience. This intense and life-changing spiritual awakening left Bill with an overwhelming sense of well-being and freed him from his obsession and craving for alcohol. Bill said this about his “hot flash”, “I knew I was a free man”.

Connection is the Key to Recovery

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 18, 2020 10:45:02 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, alcoholism, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, COVID-19

Johann Hari stated at the end of his viral “TED Talk” that… “the opposite of addiction is not sobriety; the opposite of addiction is connection”. This comment was received as a landmark and almost heretical statement in the field of addiction treatment. It sent shock waves through the recovery community. It was a new and innovative way to view addiction and address recovery.

Intensive Work With Other Alcoholics

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 5, 2020 9:00:07 AM / by John MacDougall posted in substance abuse, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Older Adult Recovery Programs, Drugs Adiction

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

One of the difficulties I have with staying sober is that I like to drink. I also like my drugs: Valium, Percodan, and other opiates, benzodiazepines, and barbiturates. For me, drinking and drugging is forever natural. Being clean and sober is forever unnatural. Even though my sobriety date is July 4, 1989, and I have been sober for 11,173 days, a day at a time, sobriety has never become natural for me. I rely on the “Big Book” of Alcoholics Anonymous and I do what it says to do.

Be Careful What You Pray For…

[fa icon="calendar'] Jan 16, 2020 8:24:09 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, Recovery, AA meetings, Sober Housing, 12 steps of aa, alcohol abuse

I was 18 years old and three years sober. Ever since I went through treatment in the summer of 1978, all I wanted to do was to be a counselor. My counselor had saved my life and all I wanted to do was to become a counselor so I could save lives too. I could think of no higher calling or more worthwhile work. So, I applied for a Counselor Training Program.

The Journey Home

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 11, 2019 7:59:19 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Recovery, 12 steps of aa, Drug Rehab, Family Sober Support, Older Adult Recovery Programs

“A Real Man in Beverly Hills”

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 7, 2019 6:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Older Adult Recovery Programs

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

It’s Friday, November 1st, and I took the day off. I flew with my wife, Priscilla to Los Angeles. This fall I joined “The Magic Castle” in Hollywood. It is a private club in a castle, located in the Hollywood Hills. I sponsor a 94 year old psychologist who lives in California, and he both introduced me to the Magic Castle, and sponsored me for membership.

What is a Recovery Community Organization?

[fa icon="calendar'] Oct 23, 2019 9:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in substance abuse, 12 steps of aa, Drug Rehab, Older Adult Recovery Programs, Men's Sober Residential, Women's Sober Residential

“A Recovery Community Organization (RCO) is devoted to providing services to and tearing down barriers for those suffering from a substance use disorder. It is a
grassroots community-based organization staffed by people in recovery." 

Aim High

[fa icon="calendar'] Sep 17, 2019 8:50:50 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcoholism, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA

“The 12 Traditions of A.A. tell us that “we ought not ever be organized…” (Tradition Nine) but, this statement comes out of the organization’s lack of sanctions and disciplinary measures for the membership." 

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts