RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Evaluating Our Own Sobriety

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 22, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, 4th Step, 5th Step, 10th Step

[fa icon="comment"] 3 Comments

Alcoholism is a disease of self-deception. We can be taking all twelve steps, and still avoid the spiritual growth of the program. “Remember” the Big Book says, “that we deal with alcohol---cunning, baffling, and powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power—that One is God. May you find Him now!” (p.58-59)

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

TRY HARDER

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 18, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by Kevin J posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, spirituality, 12 step program, sponsorship, sobriety

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

I always learned that the cure for any hurdle was to “try harder.” Struck out in Little League? TRY HARDER next at bat. Low grade on a test? STUDY HARDER next exam. Didn’t close the sale at work? TRY HARDER next customer. The message was to keep doing what you’re doing…but TRY HARDER! Can’t stop drinking? TRY HARDER. When I tried as hard as I could to stop drinking and using drugs and found that I could not on my own will, I tried harder in other areas of my life. Surely success in those areas would offset my utter failure to control and enjoy my drinking! That logic seemed unbeatable. But experience taught I am not. And thus the great paradox of recovery reared its beautiful head in my life. To make progress, to find sobriety, to find happiness, I had to STOP TRYING. (WHAT??)

My Story

[fa icon="calendar'] Jan 24, 2018 10:30:00 AM / by John D. posted in young people in A.A., disease of alcoholism, alcoholism, alcohol recovery, Alcoholics Anonymous, working the steps to recovery, 12 step program, alcohol dependency

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

andrew-neel-109201.jpg My name is John and I’m an alcoholic. Sober by the grace of God, the application of the 12 Steps and the fellowship of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, I haven’t found it necessary to take a drink since July 22, 1978.

The Master Physician.

[fa icon="calendar'] Oct 30, 2017 10:11:53 AM / by John D. posted in 12 Steps, 12 step program, spirituality

Recently, I overheard a person in recovery talk about being concerned because he hadn’t had a spiritual awakening like Bill W.   He was afraid he had done something wrong.  He wondered if he had fallen out of favor with God.   He questioned whether he had missed something when he went through the 12 Steps.    He thought maybe he had glossed over some vital section of the first 164 pages. 

Carrying the Message.

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 19, 2017 9:30:00 AM / by John D. posted in Al-anon, Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps, 12 step program

So you’ve been asked to bring a meeting into a facility. Congratulations! What an honor and privilege it is to be involved in service. As it states on page 89 of the book Alcoholics Anonymous:

“To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends--this is an experience you must not miss.  We know you will not want to miss it.  Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.”

Focusing on What Works - 12 Steps of AA & Abstinence

[fa icon="calendar'] Oct 12, 2015 9:13:47 AM / by Staff Blog posted in drug addiction, Alcoholics Anonymous, AA, 12 step program

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

The 12 step program is a framework for confronting problems that involve addiction, alcoholism, and pressure. Sometimes referred to as spiritual methods, the Alcoholics Anonymous(AA) program was originally started due to a text that was published in 1939. The text, Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How More Than One Hundred Men Have Recovered from Alcoholism, created the foundation that paved the way for the 12 step program of AA. Today this method is regarded as the most successful practice of abstinence

Subscribe to Email Updates

Lists by Topic

see all

Posts by Topic

see all

Recent Posts