RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Rule # 62.5

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 2, 2020 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, 12 step program, AA meetings, alcohol abuse, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

[fa icon="comment"] 2 Comments

Tis the season to be jolly”, as the age-old song reminds us. In that vein, here are some stories to lift your spirits - Happy Holidays!

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

An Interview on Recovery with Maj. John G. Donovan, U.S. Army Retired.

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 5, 2020 12:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, 12 step program, AA meetings, alcohol abuse, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

[fa icon="comment"] 2 Comments

Q: How do you define recovery?

A: I consider myself a person in long-term recovery. To me, that means that I haven't had a drink or drug in over 42 years.

Get Healthy - Stay Healthy

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 5, 2020 10:30:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in 12 step program, substance abuse, AA Big Book, Recovery Program, Support Group

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

National reports estimate over 25 million Americans have a substance use disorder. This includes illicit drugs, prescription medications, and alcohol. In fact, when it comes to alcohol it is estimated that one in eight American adults have an alcohol problem.

Keeping Our Focus On Sobriety

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 4, 2020 12:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in alcoholism, 12 step program, Recovery, AA meetings

I’m writing this on a morning in March when the news media is full of coronavirus, or Covid-19 stories. Today’s Star-Tribune newspaper reports that the Costco store near The Retreat is out of toilet paper and won’t have any more for five days. They are also out of hand sanitizer, plastic gloves, and bleach wipes. The food aisles are decimated, as well, with non-perishables in short supply. It isn’t a full and complete panic, but it is certainly a lot of anxiety for a state that has no known cases of the virus.

“A Real Man in Beverly Hills”

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 7, 2019 6:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Older Adult Recovery Programs

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

It’s Friday, November 1st, and I took the day off. I flew with my wife, Priscilla to Los Angeles. This fall I joined “The Magic Castle” in Hollywood. It is a private club in a castle, located in the Hollywood Hills. I sponsor a 94 year old psychologist who lives in California, and he both introduced me to the Magic Castle, and sponsored me for membership.

“I’ve got this.” – or so I thought

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 22, 2019 9:18:16 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in alcoholism, 12 step program, Family Sober Support, Recovery Program, Alcohol & Health

“Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.”

- Step 7 from the Al-Anon Family Groups

"I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world."

- Leigh Standley

Two Heads are Better than One

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 29, 2019 6:00:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, 12 step program, Family Sober Support, Recovery Program, help group

“Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.”

ACEs Up the Sleeve

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 6, 2019 6:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, 12 steps of aa, Recovery Program, Alcoholism Treatment Program

Allegory of the River

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 21, 2018 8:00:00 AM / by Jay R. posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Recovery Program

When I walked into my first Al-Anon meeting fourteen years ago, life as I knew it was over. I didn’t understand that at the time, and I continued to fight desperately against that reality for quite some time. But, still, it was over. The gift of the 12 Steps of Al-Anon is that the life I have today is SO much better than the life I had planned, and the life I thought I should and could have, if only I fought a little harder, and a little longer.

“If I Recover, Who Will I Be?”

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 14, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

I never asked this question when I was getting sober, but I have heard other people ask it. I thought they were raising unreasonable objections to getting sober or expressing resistance to recovery. Over the years, patients at Hazelden and guests at The Retreat have spoken of their reluctance to recover by saying that they are afraid to recover, because they are afraid of who they might be if they stop drinking or drugging. What will happen, they ask, if they get sober and don’t like themselves, or don’t like who they have become?

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts