RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Key Benefits of 12 Step Programs for Sober Living

[fa icon="calendar'] Jan 13, 2024 12:17:15 AM / by Staff Blog posted in 12 Steps, 12 step program, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

Think about a journey that promises support, guidance, and a chance at a better life. That's exactly what the 12 Step program offers to those who are seeking recovery from alcohol addiction and substance abuse.

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

What Happens in Rehab: Everything About Recovery Center

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 15, 2023 8:24:00 AM / by Staff Blog posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps, 12 step program, Drug Rehab, Drug Addiction

Facing drug or alcohol addiction (or both!) can be overwhelming, and millions around the world experience that. But seeking rehab is a vital step towards reclaiming your life. It's an acknowledgment that you want to break free from the cycle of substance abuse and embark on a path to recovery. During this journey, you may ask yourself, 'What happens in rehab?' Let me shed some light on this for you.

What is Cinderella Syndrome?

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 15, 2023 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, 12 step program, alcohol abuse, Cinderella Syndrome

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

Cinderella Syndrome goes by many names.  Some call it wishful thinking.  Some refer to it as wish fulfillment.  Still others refer to it as fantastical or magical thinking. The late, great psychologist Dr. Albert Ellis described it as an irrational thought characterized by the idea that “One must be quite dependent on others and need them...”   

The Retreat announces the Curtis Carlson Nelson Research Institute to focus on research, advocacy for addiction and recovery

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 2, 2023 9:00:00 AM / by Staff Blog posted in 12 Steps, 12 step program, AA meetings, Alcohol & Health

“Having Had a Spiritual Awakening”

[fa icon="calendar'] Jan 4, 2023 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps, alcoholism, 12 step program, AA Big Book

The 12th Step of Alcoholics Anonymous says, “Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps…” So, what is this “spiritual awakening” and why is it so crucial to long-term recovery?

November is National Gratitude Month

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 9, 2022 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, Recovery Program, Alcohol & Health, Treatment Program

Did you know that November is National Gratitude Month? We often hear within the rooms of recovery that it’s important to have an attitude of gratitude, but why all this emphasis on gratitude? Why is it so important to our mental, physical, and spiritual health?

“We tried to carry this message…”

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 9, 2022 8:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, Alcoholics Anonymous, recovery process, 12 step program, Alcoholism Treatment Program

Bill Wilson, the co-founder of the program Alcoholics Anonymous, achieved sobriety in December of 1934. One day in the spring of 1935 he came home in the middle of the afternoon. Utterly dejected, he turned to his wife Lois and said, “I’ve worked with drunks for the last six months and not a one of them is sober.”

The Twelve Steps of Sober Living??? We Shall See

[fa icon="calendar'] May 19, 2021 9:15:00 AM / by Lisa G. posted in 12 step program, AA meetings, AA Big Book, Women's Sober Residential, Support Group

While I was still in treatment sober living was “strongly suggested” as the next step in my recovery. I was told that it would put into practice the twelve-step approach to living in a somewhat controlled environment that would benefit my sobriety and my overall spiritual well-being. Believe me I was more than a little bit skeptical that this would in any way, shape, or form benefit me at all. This blog delves into whether they were right or not. We shall see.

LDRSHIP

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 2, 2021 4:27:50 PM / by Maj Donovan posted in recovery process, 12 step program, Recovery, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 3 Comments

We have the 12 Steps and the 12 Traditions on which volumes of material have been written. Yet, a common theme running through the steps and traditions is this idea of principles. But what are these principles and from where do they come?

Romanticizing the Past

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 30, 2020 7:11:11 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcohol addiction, Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Alcoholism Treatment Program

“By 1937, some of us realized that AA needed a standard literature. There would have to be a book ... Well, we did quarrel violently over the preparation and distribution of that book. In fact, it took five years for the clamor to die down. Should any AAs dream that the old-timers who put the book together went about in serene meditation and white robes, then they had best forget it.” - AA Co-Founder, Bill W., November 1951, “Services Make AA Tick”, The Language of the Heart.

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts