RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Personal Prayer.

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 24, 2017 10:10:34 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, alcoholism, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Family Sober Support

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

There was a period in my life where I spent most of my time doing one of two things: I was either worrying to extremes, or praying about what I was worrying about. My prayers were desperate. I often prayed “Please let him come home safely.” Sometimes I prayed for something to change. At other times, I would make bargains. I would plea for resolution, and make promises in exchange.

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

“Heave awa, lads, I’m no’ deid yet!”

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 2, 2017 5:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, Men's Sober Residential, Women's Sober Residential, Recovery Program

I just returned from a trip to Scotland with my family. We visited the ancestral home of the MacDougalls, in Argyll, near Oban, as well as in Edinburgh, where my grandfather was born in 1888.

Acknowledge, Accept, and Refocus: the Practical Application of Meditation.

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 26, 2017 9:30:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

Step 11: “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.”

Seven Steps to Conflict Resolution.

[fa icon="calendar'] Jun 14, 2017 9:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, substance abuse, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

1.   It takes two to tango. In any situation if I respond with anger, hurt or frustration, the situation can quickly escalate. If I respond with calm and reassurance the situation can quickly defuse. If I refuse to do the dance of anger, the dance quickly ends.

2.   What other people think of me is none of my business. I have a sponsor and significant others to whom I turn for advice and suggestions. If I try to live my life to appease and please those around me, I become a people pleaser. And there’s an app for people pleasing – it’s called Al-Anon.

Being Sober and Becoming Happy.

[fa icon="calendar'] May 26, 2017 9:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Men's Sober Residential, Women's Sober Residential

In 2013, my wife Priscilla persuaded me to write a book, that I called “Being Sober and Becoming Happy.” I had worked at the Hazelden treatment center for 19 years, as Director of Spiritual Guidance. I did a lot of patient lectures, and had developed a long list of lectures. Priscilla kept saying “You have to write these things down.” I said, “I’m a talker, not a writer.” She kept after me. After about a year, she said “You’re getting old. Eventually you’ll die. All the lectures will be lost. You should write this stuff down.”  So, I agreed.

Don't Quit Before the Miracles Happen.

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 13, 2017 9:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, Drug Rehab, Recovery Program, Drugs Adiction

dawn-nature-sunset-woman.jpg

This weekend, I will be an A.A. Speaker at the “Rogue Roundup” in Grant’s Pass, Oregon. Although I have spoken at a number of A.A. roundups, this will be the first one on the west coast. I’m the last of nine speakers, most from California, and I follow the famous Clancy I. One difference between the Los Angeles speakers and myself is that I don’t have a dramatic drinking story. I drank quietly, and I never got arrested. Because I don’t have a “war story” to present, I’m going with four important things I’ve learned in A.A. so far.

“I Tried To Find An Easier, Softer, Way...and I Did!”

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 3, 2017 5:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program

Can Unity Exist in Relationships?

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 15, 2017 8:30:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, 12 Traditions Of AA

Unlocking Your Truth.

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 15, 2017 9:00:00 AM / by Kara F posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program, Chemical Dependency

Yesterday I broke a little. OK, since I am talking about unlocking truth, I think I actually broke a
lot. I sort of shattered.

This process of recovery...its more than putting down my substance. Although that was the first
obvious step, and a struggle in itself, nobody could prepare me for the journey that lay ahead
once I got sober. As I write this, my desire is to fill a page with positive and encouraging words
that will uplift and give hope. But today I am not feelin’ it and am in the midst of unlocking some
truths. Truths about myself and my character. Truths about my past and the harm I have done.
Truths about the harm that I endured through others. Truths about the fear I am allowing myself
to live in.

There is no god, and he hates me.

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 6, 2017 8:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, alcoholism, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book

The disease of alcoholism and addiction shows up in our lives in the form of a voice in our heads.  That voice is like a channel of discouragement that is hard to totally eliminate. The addictive voice doesn’t have to make any sense to be effective. Because it has been there so long, and because its messages are so consistently depressing, we come to accept it, just because it wears us down.

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts