RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Practicing Hospitality

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 28, 2016 9:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

Women in Recovery Book Club: Grounded in the Group

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 9, 2016 9:00:00 AM / by Women in Recovery posted in women in recovery, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Women's Sober Residential

The Family Afterward

[fa icon="calendar'] Oct 19, 2016 9:05:00 AM / by Mark Korman posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, family recovery, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, 12 Traditions Of AA

When I am facilitating Family Program sessions I often ask participants to think of a family affected by addiction like a mobile floating over a child’s crib. When you imagine a mobile, there are a few things that instantly come to mind.  You’ll see a bunny, bear, frog, and bird: rotating around and helping the mobile to maintain balance.  There’s often quiet music playing in the background.  

Spiritual Liberty and Democracy

[fa icon="calendar'] Sep 28, 2016 10:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, alcoholism, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA

The Presidential campaign this year may appear to be uniquely trashy. It isn’t that unusual, set against the full sweep of American history. The 1884 campaign of  the Democratic President Grover Cleveland against the Republican James G. Blaine was trashier. Blaine was accused of profiting from sales of railroad bonds and Cleveland was accused of fathering a child out of wedlock. Crowds at campaign rallies shouted down each candidate: “Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine, the continental liar from the State of Maine” and “Ma, Ma, where’s my Pa? Gone to the White House, ha! Ha! Ha!” Ugly politics is nothing new.

Recovery from the Heart

[fa icon="calendar'] Sep 14, 2016 10:30:00 AM / by Cecil B posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

The Big Book, 12 x 12, sponsors, meetings and the working history of AA used as a template — it had come to seem repetitive and endless to me.

Recovering Hope: The Pain is Mandatory, but the Misery is Optional

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 24, 2016 9:30:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, Men's Sober Residential, Women's Sober Residential

[fa icon="comment"] 4 Comments

It’s a gray and rainy day, and I’m sitting in a room with a group of people who never wanted to gain entry into the retreat we’re hosting.  They desperately tried everything in their power to never be here.  They formulated plans, they had talks, they paid good money, they supported, they begged, they pleaded, they researched, and they loved with all they had.  And, yet, here they are: the folks who have lost a loved one to the disease of addiction.

Let's Keep Climbing the Steps Together

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 14, 2016 2:47:48 PM / by Dick Rice posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA, Chemical Dependency

You might remember the famous “Last Lecture” given a few years ago.  Well, this is my last blog and so I am going to share with you three of the most important realizations I have been blessed with in my years as a twelve-stepper.  My recovery date is May 1, 1979 and so I consider myself a mere beginner in The Climb, but here is my humble offering. 

“We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.”

[fa icon="calendar'] Jun 29, 2016 10:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA, Chemical Dependency

My sobriety date is July 4, 1989. I planned it that way. It became clear that I needed to get sober, but I was taking a lot of drug as well as drinking a lot, and detox was difficult, at age 40. I chose to detox myself, gradually, over a period of six weeks. The timing worked out to July third, but I stretched it a bit, because I thought that the Fourth of July, Independence Day, would make a better sobriety anniversary.

The Steps are the Principles and That is That

[fa icon="calendar'] Jun 9, 2016 11:40:29 AM / by Dick Rice posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Drug Rehab, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

So there I was, preparing to present to my home group, praying that I might learn something new, at least for me, in the very preparation.  You would think I would have learned by now to be careful what I pray for – how often have I gotten it!  Yes, the Divine struck yet again and here is what I learned:

The Readiness is All

[fa icon="calendar'] May 11, 2016 10:00:00 AM / by Dick Rice posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, alcoholism, 12 steps of aa, Drugs Adiction, Chemical Dependency

I have been amazed at how many of us come forth from a good 5th step and immediately say, “I sure have a lot to work on.” We climb to the sixth step and realize that we have nothing to work on, unless our Higher Power indicates such to us.  The 6th step is counter-intuitive.  I am eager to get working on my defects but my Higher Power is telling me to hold my horses until He gives the command,  pointing out which shortcoming He wants to lengthen and what he wants from me. 

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts