RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Aim High

[fa icon="calendar'] Sep 17, 2019 8:50:50 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in alcoholism, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

“The 12 Traditions of A.A. tell us that “we ought not ever be organized…” (Tradition Nine) but, this statement comes out of the organization’s lack of sanctions and disciplinary measures for the membership." 

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

Where is this Spiritual Awakening?

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 29, 2019 2:13:44 PM / by Kara F posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Chemical Dependency

“Step 12 says “as a result” of these steps.  It doesn’t say you can work on the steps if and only if you first have a spiritual awakening.  So I needed to start over and work on steps 1-11 first. "

“God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves”

[fa icon="calendar'] May 15, 2019 9:02:18 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, Sober Housing, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA, Treatment Program

[fa icon="comment"] 4 Comments

There are struggles we will face in sobriety. Getting sober is not a guarantee that life will be void of trouble. On the contrary, life will be life. Life will have its ups and downs, its triumphs and tribulations, its ebb and flow.

A Soldier’s Calling.

[fa icon="calendar'] Sep 15, 2017 10:37:21 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, alcoholism, AA meetings, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

In 2007 I volunteered for my first tour to Iraq. I had been sober a long time by then, but I was afraid. Would I hold up under fire? Would my men follow my orders? Would I freeze in the face of danger? These and many more thoughts flooded my brain.

Safety in Self-Help Groups - A.A.’s Common Welfare.

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 15, 2017 10:17:04 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, 12 Traditions Of AA, help group, Support Group

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

Earlier this year the General Service Office (GSO) of Alcoholics Anonymous in New York, NY published guidance on “Safety in A.A.”.  The paper was entitled "Safety and A.A.:  Our Common Welfare".  Printed on January 25, 2017,  this paper laid out the A.A. philosophy and helpful suggestions for keeping A.A. groups safe.  

Acknowledge, Accept, and Refocus: the Practical Application of Meditation.

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 26, 2017 9:30:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, 12 Traditions Of AA

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

Step 11: “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.”

Leadership (LDRSHIP) in Recovery

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 26, 2017 6:04:00 PM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program

“I Tried To Find An Easier, Softer, Way...and I Did!”

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 3, 2017 5:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program

Can Unity Exist in Relationships?

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 15, 2017 8:30:00 AM / by Sherry Gaugler-Stewart posted in family recovery, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Family Sober Support, 12 Traditions Of AA

Unlocking Your Truth.

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 15, 2017 9:00:00 AM / by Kara F posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 steps of aa, 12 Traditions Of AA, Recovery Program, Chemical Dependency

Yesterday I broke a little. OK, since I am talking about unlocking truth, I think I actually broke a
lot. I sort of shattered.

This process of recovery...its more than putting down my substance. Although that was the first
obvious step, and a struggle in itself, nobody could prepare me for the journey that lay ahead
once I got sober. As I write this, my desire is to fill a page with positive and encouraging words
that will uplift and give hope. But today I am not feelin’ it and am in the midst of unlocking some
truths. Truths about myself and my character. Truths about my past and the harm I have done.
Truths about the harm that I endured through others. Truths about the fear I am allowing myself
to live in.

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts