RetreatBlogBannerImage.jpg

Humility involves always being open to new learning.

[fa icon="calendar'] Oct 1, 2018 9:19:41 PM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

[fa icon="comment"] 2 Comments

When I was a boy, I eagerly read each issue of Mad Magazine. It’s fictional editor, Alfred E. Neuman, had a quote above the index of each issue. One of my favorites was “Some minds are like concrete: all mixed up and permanently set.” A Peanuts cartoon of that era had Lucy shouting “If you can’t be right, be wrong at the top of your voice.” I’m writing this newsletter during the Senate hearings on a Supreme Court nomination. It seems as if nearly everyone is sure that they know what happened at a high school party long ago: the nominee is guilty, or innocent, depending upon whom you ask. I’m not hearing the more humble opinion of “I don’t know, I wasn’t there.”

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

Garbage In - Garbage Out

[fa icon="calendar'] Aug 8, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, Recovery Program, Support Group

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

There’s an old phrase in computer programming that goes… “Garbage In – Garbage Out”. In other words, if I program a faulty code, I’m going to get a faulty outcome.

Alcoholics Anonymous Has A “Safety Card” Because We Are Making Spiritual Progress

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 25, 2018 10:00:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book

The A.A. Big Book, on page 60, states “The point is, that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.”

Integrity

[fa icon="calendar'] Jul 11, 2018 9:01:01 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

Recently during the U.S. Open a professional golfer swatted at his golf ball while it was moving. He knowingly did this in violation of the rules that govern golf. In a subsequent tournament another professional golfer took a drop with a golf shot that was controversial at best and which some of his fellow players characterized as cheating. Both of the situations were unfortunate and sullied the reputation of both players. It is said that golf doesn’t build character – it reveals it.

Resting on Our Laurels

[fa icon="calendar'] Jun 13, 2018 10:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

She sat next to the bed. I hadn’t touched her in months. She didn’t seem to notice - she didn’t say a word. I felt guilty. I felt ashamed. I felt like I had been unfaithful.

There had been so many excuses. “I’m too busy. I’m too tired. I’ve got more important things to do”. Excuses all...

Finally, I reached over and gently brushed off the dust from her jacket. I started my daily readings – again.

We Don’t Need A “White Light” To Get Sober

[fa icon="calendar'] May 2, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

I have had a misunderstanding about Bill Wilson’s “White Light” experience in Towns Hospital in 1934. I got my impression of that evening from watching a movie with an actor portraying Bill W’s experience. In the movie there is a supernatural experience, complete with a blinding white light and a rushing wind, a combination of a science fiction movie and a horror movie in its special effects.

TRY HARDER

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 18, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by Kevin J posted in 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

I always learned that the cure for any hurdle was to “try harder.” Struck out in Little League? TRY HARDER next at bat. Low grade on a test? STUDY HARDER next exam. Didn’t close the sale at work? TRY HARDER next customer. The message was to keep doing what you’re doing…but TRY HARDER! Can’t stop drinking? TRY HARDER. When I tried as hard as I could to stop drinking and using drugs and found that I could not on my own will, I tried harder in other areas of my life. Surely success in those areas would offset my utter failure to control and enjoy my drinking! That logic seemed unbeatable. But experience taught I am not. And thus the great paradox of recovery reared its beautiful head in my life. To make progress, to find sobriety, to find happiness, I had to STOP TRYING. (WHAT??)

Becoming God-Conscious

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 28, 2018 9:30:00 AM / by John MacDougall posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, Sober Housing, 12 steps of aa, AA Big Book

One of the great opportunities of living the program of Alcoholics Anonymous is our ability to become “God-Conscious.” Because our alcoholism is a brain disease, our brains reset themselves every night in our sleep to “alcoholic”. I find that I need to set my brain back every morning to “sober”.

Young People and A.A.

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 27, 2017 1:31:38 PM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, AA meetings, 12 steps of aa, Recovery Program

My drinking got me kicked out of school; it got me into trouble with the law; I was put on probation; I was court ordered to counseling and I was fighting constantly with my parents. I hated what I was doing to them and I loathed what I was doing to myself, but I didn’t know how to stop. I finally got honest with my probation officer one day and she suggested I go to a Young Peoples A.A. meeting.

A Miracle of the Season

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 13, 2017 10:00:00 AM / by Maj Donovan posted in Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 step program, Sober Housing, AA Big Book, Recovery Program

On December 11, 1934, while under treatment at Towns Hospital for alcoholism, Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, experienced a profound and lasting spiritual experience. This intense and life-changing spiritual awakening left Bill with an overwhelming sense of well-being and freed him from his obsession and craving for alcohol. Bill said this about his “hot flash,” “I knew I was a free man”.

Subscribe to Email Updates

New call-to-action

Recent Posts